Serbian Cemetery, Colma
Notice: Undefined index: feed_id in /www/wp-content/plugins/widget-google-reviews/includes/class-feed-widget.php on line 130
About Serbian Cemetery, Colma
Lone Mountain or Laurel Hill cemetery in San Francisco was opened in 1854. The area bounded by Geary, Presidio, Arguello and California Streets was renamed to Laurel Hill Cemetery in 1867 and Serbian Cemetery was a part of it. The City of San Francisco passed ordinance #25 on March 26, 1900 stating that no further burials will be allowed in the City and County of San Francisco.
For many years, the Orthodox Society administrated the Orthodox Cemetery, but by 1890 the Orthodox Society was in decline with financial difficulties and they were forced to secure a loan from the Serbian Society and later forfeit their property on Turk and Parker Streets to the Serbian Society.
Colma became the chosen area for the cemeteries and Serbian Cemetery started relocation in 1901 on the land that was purchased by FSBS . In 1901, the original site was five acres and in 1950 an additional 11 acres were purchased. That means that the total area of the Cemetery land is 16 acres, of which approximately 50% is occupied. The cemetery is opened to all Orthodox Christians and there are about 12,000 burials including Serbians, Russians, Greeks and Armenians.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sundays by appointment