Santa Clara Mission Cemetery, Santa Clara
About Santa Clara Mission Cemetery, Santa Clara
The first Christian cemetery in the Santa Clara Valley was founded by the same Franciscan Padres who founded Mission Santa Clara de Asis in 1777. As the population of the valley grew, the tiny cemetery filled. Within the space of fifty years the church of Mission Santa Clara changed locations 4 times. With each church there came a new cemetery, ending with the cemetery at the fourth site on today’s campus of Santa Clara University.
By 1851, when Santa Clara College was founded, the Jesuit Fathers realized that the old cemetery near the Mission was filled. The new site they selected was within a few minutes’ walk from the Mission and was located near the small Adobe home of Don Fernando Berryessa. This is the current location of Santa Clara Mission Cemetery-at the corner of Winchester Boulevard and Bellomy Street.
To walk through the older areas of the cemetery is to travel through nearly 165 years of history. At Santa Clara Mission Cemetery there repose many early Santa Clara Valley pioneers; Spaniards, Mexican, Americans, and others of rich and varied ethnic backgrounds.
Today, Santa Clara Mission Cemetery continues to serve the community in the tradition of the Franciscan padres. Owned and operated by the Jesuit Fathers of Santa Clara University, Santa Clara Mission Cemetery averages 800 dispositions per year offering ground burial, entombment, and internment options.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sundays by appointment