Alameda County Supervisor's Memorial
The Alameda County Supervisors Memorial is the largest of its kind anywhere in the Bay and California for that matter. With the two extensions of the Fire Fighters and the Peace Makers memorials as wings. The Alameda County Supervisors council has many more years and names to add to the memorial in the future.
With many upright tablet monuments, and fundraiser memorial benches surrounding the whole of the memorial, prominent members throughout the community helped to donate to fund the memorials commission.
Here is a little Snippet From The Mercury News Who reported on the Alameda County Supervisors Memorial:
“This was our way to take an area of the fairgrounds and make it look new again, and at the same time honor those from the past,” he said.
What began as a suggestion from Supervisor Scott Haggerty about bringing back a flagpole that used to adorn a gazebo area across from the horse racing track has evolved into a circular monument with a pentagon-shaped granite flagpole base surrounded by five granite monoliths and five benches.
The monument pays tribute to Alameda County from its early days when a portion of Santa Clara and Contra Costa counties was annexed to create the county in 1853, today there are nearly 1.5 million residents.
Each of the pentagon base’s five sides represents a county district and will be engraved with names of the supervisors who served during the premodern era from 1855 to 1885.
The five monolith slabs will surround the pentagon and have the names of all the supervisors serving from 1885 to the present, engraved on one side. The two newest supervisors, Nadia Lockyer in District 2 and Wilma Chan in District 3, will also be included on the monument. Future supervisors will also be added.